- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.UVsgb4Gv.dpuf Erin's Alter Ego Writes Books: Chutney is not curry

Thursday 5 July 2012

Chutney is not curry

So, as promised, here is a story about my cooking escapades.

I'm a terrible cook.

I try hard. I try following recipes, but they don't seem to work out. I never have all the ingredients. I always substitute the wrong ingredients, thinking that it will still work out. Chicken is burned on the outside and raw on the inside. Rice is hard. Or soggy. My pots always boil over and I smoke out the kitchen. My future children will be malnourished, but not for lack of trying.

I do have a few shining moments. Shining failures, but they still shine.

One was the time I was trying to cook a curry. For some reason, I never check the ingredients before starting to cook. So when I was trying to cook my curry, I realized that I didn't have a key ingredient: curry paste.

So what I do? I substituted it with mango chutney.

Now, for those who don't know, chutney is like a sweet salsa you put on top of... other foods. I'm actually not even sure, and I don't remember why or how I bought the mango chutney. For all I know, it came with our flat. It's certainly not curry.

To follow the recipe, I remember that curry has coconut milk. So I poured a can of it in (after asking Chris to  open the can for me - he didn't know what I had done at that point).

It was the sweetest thing you've ever tried. And not in a good way. I think I had three bites to be polite to myself and stopped. And it didn't help that I basically had raw onions pieces in there because I under cooked those. Chris didn't even like the rice - it was one of those nights where I had made it too mushy.

Haven't messed up my curry since. Now other food... that I've messed up.

But those are stories for other days. I'll try to snap pictures of my failures, but usually I'm laughing too hard to remember.

Have a good night guys. Eat well.

Erin x

No comments:

Post a Comment